BUT, how can you incorporate these programs and other fitness trends, like Crossfit or Zumba, into your physical education program?
Find out below!
I’ve found that most of my students have heard of these programs, but very few have actually tried them. The feedback I get is that they are too expensive, and they’re right, they are!
One of my main goals as a physical educator is to expose my students to as many different types of fitness activities as I can before they graduate. Hopefully they will not only gain a little experience and knowledge in each of these trends, but find something they really enjoy and will continue with.
Here are a few tips for incorporating fitness in Physical Education with these trendy DVD’s:
Buy the DVD set
- Whether you buy the set yourself or use your PE budget, step one is to buy the DVDs!
- Try it yourself
- Before asking your students to complete a video, always try it yourself! I usually do this over the summer when I have some free time. I do this because my experience with these “trendy” fitness DVDs is that they are either a bust or I feel like they may not be suitable for the fitness levels of my students.
- Design a lesson using portions of the DVD
- Choose parts of the videos that you can incorporate into a circuit or lessonl Make sure they are easy to follow. Keep in mind the fitness levels of your students. If you choose a portion that is too physically difficult, they will not have success or use proper technique.
- Play the actual DVD one time per class so they can have a true experience of what it’s really like
- Incorporate these new exercises in weight room circuits or in a fitness class
- Make signs to help guide the students through a circuit, or partner or group format
My students have really enjoyed being able to try what they see on TV. Not only do they stay abreast by trying these cutting edge fitness programs, but they are also getting in great shape along the way!