I have spent the past 5 years in schools with limited or no PE budgets. Although it was a challenge, it made me resourceful and creative with my lessons. I love bringing new activities and sports to my students. But with a limited budget, it can be nearly impossible, or so I thought…
I began researching for physical education grant opportunities and applying for grants for equipment and unit supplies. I was pleasantly surprised with how easy the process can be. It started with me looking for specific sports that I wanted to add to our program, and then it turned into a challenge of finding what activities and sports are available to PE programs and schools. The students would never have had the opportunity to learn these non-traditional activities if had not been for the grant programs.
Types of Programs
There is a wide range of types of programs and Physical Education grant offerings available. They range from equipment and lesson/unit plans to class giveaways and fun items for students. This became my new hobby. I became “The Grant Finder”. I even started to apply for grants for my Leadership Classes and school as a whole.
It is amazing the things you can do if you put your mind to it and take the time to research. If you have a sport/activity you would like to teach, reach out to organizations that support it. Even if they do not offer a grant, they may help with instructors, have extra resources, or may want to help you build your programs.
Physical EducationGrant Opportunities
- SHAPE America Grants
- Active Schools Grants – Get kids moving 60 minutes a day.
- Fuel Up to Play 60 Grants
- Lacrosse – US Lacrosse: Programs and Grants: Various programs and grants depending on your need/wants. You can have a PE donation or a “First Sticks” program to start a lacrosse team at your school.
- Field Hockey – FUNdamental Field Hockey
- Tennis – USTA-Plans and Programs
- Pickleball Equipment
- Ultimate Frisbee – Frisbee Kits
- PHIT America: a movement for a Fit and Healthy America
- Lowes– $5,000 for your school
- Target Field Trip Grant – Field Trip Grants
- MLB Grant
- US Soccer Foundation
- Archery Grants
- Action for Healthy Kids
The bottom line: Do your research and reach out to people! You’d be surprised how much organizations and your community members want to help. Think about the local professional and minor teams! They have various grant programs, community outreach programs, and/or school visits that you can sign up for.